Thursday, July 15, 2010

God Bless America

Being an Edington means you celebrate the 4th of July in a big way! We started out the day with lots of swimming! Kate loves the water and is a really good swimmer, with her floaties on. Luke is a little more scared but enjoys swimming as long as Daddy is holding him. Jason is a little young for swimming so he hung out inside with Aunts and Grandmas during swimming time.


Swimming really works up an appetite and we always eat nachos on the 4th. There was a salsa competition and I got 2nd place!

There was also a dessert competition, I made smores cupcakes. I didn't win but it looks like Kate is enjoying her cupcake.
In the early evening is when the real fun starts. We hold annual Olympics and of course no Olymipics would be complete without an opening ceremonies. Every year there is a very wierd and usually hilarious skit of sorts to kick things off. Unfortunately Jason was a bit fussy and I missed the production this year but I am sure it was full of unexpected and funny moments as usual.Then the games begin which include events such as; water balloon toss, watermelon eating contest, bubble gum blowing contest, ugliest face contest, synchronized swimming, smoothest dive, most painful dive, biggest splash, most unique dive, relay races, noodle races, and I think there are more but that's all I can remember. There are a panel of esteemed judges (Wayne and Susan Edington & Vicki Vadney) who give out medals and prizes for every competition.
Kate struggled in the watermelon eating contest. Doesn't look like there is much room left in her tummy.
In the past 4th of July's after the Olympics we all go out front and watch a very beautiful and very illegal display of fireworks put on by Steve. This year we decided it was time to be safe and sane. Some of the boys were disappointed but I was happy about the change. I can never fully enjoy the fireworks because I am always worried about my sweetie pie. I know, know, but I can't help it I really like him a lot! This year Wayne did something totally different and wonderful and everyone loved it especially the kids. He had a sound system outside and started playing some fun songs and passing out glow in the dark gear. With every song came more glow in the dark stuff. There were crowns, wands, tambourines, light sabers, swords, necklaces, twirly things, mouth pieces, tons of stuff. Everyone was really glowing and we marched around the pool. It was quite the glow in the dark parade the kids minds were blown and us adults were having fun too.






I feel so blessed and lucky to live in the USA. Even though we are having some rough times here in America I know we have it it so much better than anywhere else in the world. I am so grateful for all the freedoms I enjoy daily. Thanks to all those who have defended, supported and sacrificed for our country. God Bless America!


2 comments:

  1. You got great pictures of the kids. It was such a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last picture of Luke is HILARIOUS! That kid's smile is completely heart-melting. Even my older kids had their minds "blown" by all of the light-up commotion. AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete