Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Seizure

Last night Luke was not feeling well. He never sleeps well when he's sick so we told him he could sleep with us. We made him a little bed on the floor in our room and he was super excited about it. He was talking in his sleep so I leaned over to check on him and that's when it happened. He was in a full blown seizure. His tiny little body was rigid and he was convulsing. His eyes were glazed over and fixed, he was pale and frothing at the mouth. I was terrified. I felt like I was losing my sweet precious little Luke and there was nothing I could do. He stopped seizing but was in that post seizure state. His body was now limp his eyes were in a blank stare and he wouldn't respond to us. I felt like I was losing him and I was about to lose it myself. We called 911 but he woke up and started responding so Steve put him in the car and took him to the hospital before they got here. My sister-in-law came over to watch the other kids and then I headed to the hospital. I walked in his room and in his sweet little voice I heard the beautiful words "Hi Mommy" he was scared but he was doing better and I was relieved. Turns out it is not uncommon for kids under that age of 6 to get fever seizures. His temp wasn't that high only 102, but the doctor informed us it probably peaked fast. If his temp increased 3 degrees or more quickly the body senses the rapid rise in temp and responds with a seizure. Weird, yes. Terrifying, YES. Dangerous, not really. Uncommon, No. In fact next time (40% chance he will get them again) the doctor informed us not to worry unless his seizure lasts longer than 15 minutes. Well sorry doctor but I am an adult intensive care nurse and we play by a whole different set of rules. Seizures are kind of a big deal and I would never just sit by and casually watch one last for 15 minutes before worrying. Kid medicine is crazy! We are home now and Luke is totally fine. Steve and I are still recovering from the fear and trauma of the night but I think we're are going to be okay too. I love you Luke. Please don't ever scare your Mama like that ever again. My heart can't handle it.

5 comments:

  1. Scary moment but I have to admit that the same thing has happened with us and Preston. His fever spiked too fast and had a febrile seizure before we could bring the temp. down. It was the scariest moment of my life thinking I was so helpless with my child. Glad everything is okay w/ Luke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my heck! How Scary! I am glad it wasn't too serious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tears in my eyes - I can't imagine what you went through and I pray you get that visual out of your mind very soon. So sorry but I'm SO glad he's fine!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that never happens to any of the kids ever again. I could only imagine how scared you were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah!! That is so scary!! I am so glad he is ok. Your kids are so good and cute, I would feel terrible if something happened to them. Let's hope that doesn't happen ever again!

    ReplyDelete